Power supply question - my kid is making a super-magnet ! Yeah, non audio but electrical.!
Many of you guys here are very well versed in basic electronics and some are experts. Right? Can any of you chat with my son to figure out this issue? Part of his school science project to draw out 50nm magnetic nano particles.
So my son blew his power regulator trying to make a home magnet where the temp went beyond 200*C (Celsius), With that headline here is whats going on:
1. ~1000 rounds of wire around a metal core.
2. Currents easily pushing 10A. He needs to go to 30A. This makes the wire real real hot ! ((So we are rigging a holder for dry ice (-110*C) to cool the coil.........that;s in the works.))
3, The heat dropped the resistance and the current surge draw blew the regulator of my power supply.
Q1. Can I figure out what in the regulator has blown ? It is a board, so is this replaceable?
Q2. What kind of power supply would be best for this stunt?
Q3. Is the heat avoidable?
I appreciate any input, since I am lost as to where to point him!
Read responses in audiokarma.org